The beginning of Kew Gardens can be found in the 16th century when it was a privately held garden.
The history of Kew gardens dates back to when they were formerly a royal residence that was transformed into a renowned scientific center for studying plants and fungi.
The property was then bought by Frederick Louis and Augusta, the prince and princess of Wales, from the Capel family in 1731.
In 1759, Augusta created a garden for exotic plants on the property. It had more than 3,400 plant species by 1769.
As the garden was handed down to British naturalist Sir Joseph Banks in 1772, it grew over time to include specimens from all over the world.
The Kew Gardens finally developed into a hub for the scholarly exchange of plant specimens in 1841 under William Hooker and his son, Joseph Dalton Hooker.
Kew Gardens developed as a hub for both scientific study and the interchange of plant specimens internationally.
The gardens were donated to the country in the year 1840.
By the early 20th century, the grounds had grown to their current 300-acre size.
The Temperate House, the biggest remaining Victorian glasshouse in the world, reopened in the Kew Gardens following a renovation.
The Kew Gardens became one of the most well-known tourist destinations in London when it was formally recognized by UNESCO in July 2003.
It remains committed to creating a world where the environment is respected, safeguarded, and sustainably managed.
Featured Image: KEW.org